The HKVCA is pleased to announce the winners of the 2019 HKVCA ESG Award of Excellence: Baring Private Equity Asia (Hexaware), and CDH Investments (Belle).
For the 2019 Award, the Association has received a total of 16 ESG case studies from 14 private equity and venture capital firms across Asia. All the ESG case studies are available at the HKVCA website below. The two winners were honored at the award ceremony at the HKVCA Annual Gala Dinner in January 2020.
Interview with the winners
List of Entrants (alphabetically by company name):
- ADM Capital (Rent-to-Own)
- Ascendent Capital Partners (China Automation Group)
- Baring Private Equity Asia (Hexaware)
- Capsquare Asia Partners (PT Champ Resto Indonesia)
- CDH Investment (Belle)
- CITIC PE (Shanghai SUS Environment)
- CVC Capital Partners (Arteria)
- Hahn & Co (H-Line shipping)
- KKR (Barghest Building Performance)
- Lunar (Castle Snack Strategy)
- Lunar (UCCA Group)
- Mekong Capital (Pharmacity)
- Navis Capital Holding (Saitex)
- Sinovation Ventures (Waterdrop)
- Sinovation Ventures (Mingyi Zhonghe Technology (Beijing) )
- TPG (UPL)
View all the case studies here.
The HKVCA is launching its 2nd ESG Award of Excellence to recognize significant environmental, social and governance (ESG) related initiatives and achievements in Asian private equity and venture capital-backed companies.
The HKVCA ESG Award is given only once every two years. The last award was in late 2017 and attracted a diverse set of entries, with Hahn & Co’s Ssangyong Cement and TPG Asia’s Grand Royal Group emerging as eventual winners (please go to www.hkvca.com.hk/en/ESG2017.aspx for the 2017 entrant list and cases). We now invite firms to submit their applications for this year’s ESG Award of Excellence.
- are an Asian PE or VC firm, or the Asian arm of a US or European firm; and
- have an Asia-based investee company currently in your portfolio or exited during 2019, where the ESG work that you have initiated makes a compelling case study, then you are eligible to submit an entry.
How to Enter
Please submit a one-page document on one portfolio company where a critical ESG upgrade or upgrades has taken place as a result of your initiative. Please provide:
- Background information on the company, including nature of the business, size, geographical scale and location, and in which year you invested in the company.
- As many details as possible on the specific ESG initiatives and changes that you have introduced.
- If there has been sufficient time for these initiatives and changes to bear fruit, their impact on the company and on its stakeholders.
- Focus only on the two or three changes that have been most instrumental in addressing existing weaknesses and/or in creating value for the business.
- Any supporting evidence that contribute to the narrative and quantifiable results or milestones achieved (whether financial, operational or social) will be valuable.