List of entrants (alphabetically by Company Name):
- Altico Capital India Private (Pharande Spaces)
- Capsquare Asia investments (PT Natura Aromatik, PT Iwan Tirta)
- Cavendish Investment Corp. (United Food Holding Limited)
- CDH Investment (Nanfu Battery)
- CVC Asia (Softex)
- EQT Partners Asia (ELEVATE)
- Hahn & Co. (Ssangyong Cement)
- KKR (Panasonic Healthcare)
- Lightspeed China Partners (Sagreen)
- Navis Capital Partners (ISA)
- Quadria Capital Advisors Private (Medica Synergie)
- responsAbility Hong Kong (Khushhali Microfinance Bank)
- TPG Asia (Grand Royal Group)
- Tsing Capital (Enevate, Eternal Energy Management)
- Warburg Pincus (e-Shang Redwood)
View all the case studies here.
Given the high number of events we have held over the last several weeks and the extensive travel obligations of many of our members, the HKVCA has extended the deadline for submission of entries to December 1, 2017.
The HKVCA is launching its inaugural ESG Award of Excellence, the first in Asia, to recognize significant environmental, social and governance (ESG) related initiatives and achievements in Asian private equity and venture capital-backed companies.
ESG improvement encompasses a wide range of areas, including but not limited to energy efficiency, pollution reduction, waste management, preservation and recycling of natural material, green initiatives, waste reduction, employee safety and welfare, supply chain quality control, customer protection, cybersecurity, community relations, governance structure, board effectiveness, accounting and reporting standards. ESG initiatives are often taken to address an existing problem or weakness. At other times, such initiatives are designed to create brand differentiation, or go hand-in-hand with productivity or efficiency improvement projects. ESG work is part and parcel of the risk management and value creation activities inherent in the private equity and venture capital hands-on investment model.
Who is eligible?
If you are
- an Asian PE or VC firm, or the Asian arm of a U.S. or European firm, and
- you have an Asia-based investee company currently in the portfolio or exited during 2017, where the ESG work that you have initiated makes a compelling case study,
then you are eligible to submit an entry.
How to Enter
Please submit a one-page document on one portfolio company where a critical ESG upgrade or upgrades has taken place as a result of your initiative. Please provide:
- Background information on the company, including nature of the business, size, geographical scale and location, and in which year you invested in the company.
- As many details as possible on the specific ESG initiatives and changes that you have introduced.
- If there has been sufficient time for these initiatives and changes to bear fruit, their impact on the company and its stakeholders.
- Focus only on the two or three changes that have been most instrumental in addressing existing weaknesses and/or in creating value for the business.
- Any supporting evidence, such as photos, that contribute to the narrative and quantifiable results or milestones achieved (whether financial, operational or social) will be valuable.
All entries should be emailed to the HKVCA at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for your entry is 5:00p.m. on Friday, December 1, 2017.
A panel of judges consisting of LP members from the HKVCA’s ESG Committee will select two winners from all entries. The winners will be announced in December, 2017 and the decision of the panel of judges will be final. The HKVCA anticipates the award will be granted once every two years, which provides sufficient time for new ESG initiatives to develop within Asian PE/VC portfolio companies. The next submission period is therefore anticipated to be the second half of 2019.
The HKVCA may use some or all of the entries on its website, publications (online and offline) and/or in its training materials. Please do not include any confidential information in your entry documents. By submitting an entry, you give your consent to the HKVCA to use your entry documents on its website, publications and/or training materials, and acknowledge that there is no confidential information in your entry documents.