|In light of our busy conference calendar through early November, the HKVCA has decided to extend the deadline for submissions for the ESG Award of Excellence 2023 to November 30th.|
The HKVCA is launching its 4th ESG Award of Excellence to recognize significant environmental, social and governance (ESG) related initiatives and achievements in Asian private equity and venture capital-backed companies.
The HKVCA ESG Award is given only once every two years. The last award was in 2021 and attracted a diverse set of entries. We now invite Asian PE and VC firms to submit their applications for this year’s ESG Award of Excellence.
ESG encompasses a wide range of areas, including but not limited to energy efficiency, pollution reduction, green initiatives, employee safety, supply chain quality control, customer welfare, cybersecurity, community relations, governance structure, and board effectiveness. ESG initiatives are often taken to address an existing problem or weakness. At other times, such initiatives are designed to create brand differentiation, or go hand-in-hand with productivity or efficiency improvement projects. ESG work is part and parcel of the risk management and value creation activities inherent in the private equity and venture capital hands-on investment model.
Who is eligible?
If you –
- are an Asian PE or VC firm, or the Asian arm of a US or European firm, and
- have an Asia-based investee company currently in your portfolio or exited during 2022 or 2023, where the ESG work that you have initiated makes a compelling case study,
then you are eligible to submit an entry.
How to Enter?
- Background information on the company, including nature of the business, size, geographical scale and location, and in which year you invested in the company.
- As many details as possible on the specific ESG initiatives and changes that you have introduced and implemented in the company.
- If there has been sufficient time for these initiatives and changes to bear fruit, their impact on the company and on its stakeholders.
- Focus only on the 2-4 changes that have been most instrumental in addressing existing weaknesses and/or in creating value for the business.
- Any supporting evidence that contributes to the narrative and quantifiable results or milestones achieved (whether financial, operational or social) will be valuable.
All entries should be emailed to Kamy Chan at email@example.com. The deadline for your entry is 5:00p.m. on
Friday, November 3, 2023 Thursday, November 30, 2023.
A panel of judges consisting of LP members from the HKVCA’s ESG Committee will select two to three winners from all entries. The winners will be announced in December 2023 and the decision of the panel of judges will be final. The Award takes place once every two years, which provides sufficient time for new ESG initiatives to develop within Asian PE/VC portfolio companies. After this Award which is accepting entries until November 30, 2023, the next Award is anticipated to be the second half of 2025.
The HKVCA may use some or all of the entries on its website, publications (online and offline) and/or in its training materials. Please do not include any confidential information in your entry documents. By submitting an entry, you give your consent to the HKVCA to use your entry documents on its website, publications and/or training materials, and acknowledge that there is no confidential information in your entry documents.
For reference when you think about the ESG areas which have had improvements and upgrades, please use below for reference. ESG encompasses a very wide range of areas.