Limited seats available
|Date:||November 7, 2023 (Tuesday)|
|Time:||10:00 - 14:00|
|Venue:||The China Club, 14/F, The Old Bank of China Building, 1 Bank Street, Central, HK|
|Dress code:||Business Attire|
|Corporate Full Member||
|HK$1,200 per person|
|Non-member||HK$2,500 per person|
Registration deadline: November 6, 2023, 15:00 HKT
Queenie Ho is a Partner and Head of Investor Relations at Affinity Equity Partners. Queenie joined Affinity in 2004. She is a Member of the Investment Committee, and Valuation and Portfolio Review Committee of Affinity. She currently serves on the board of directors of Plaza Premium Group. Before joining Affinity, Queenie was a management consultant at McKinsey & Company. Queenie holds a BSc in Economics with first-class honours from the London School of Economics, a MPhil in Finance with distinction from the University of Cambridge and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
James co-heads Allen & Overy's Asia Pacific Funds & Asset Management group. His practice focuses on clients active in private equity and other alternative assets, where he has a broad range of experience covering traditional fundraisings, secondary transactions, mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments and capital markets transactions. He regularly guides clients in structuring funds and transactions to address a wide range of regulatory, tax and transactional issues. James is recognised as a leading lawyer by the industry’s most prestigious legal publications, including Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, Legal 500, and IFLR1000.
One long-term client applauds James for being “very knowledgeable about the market.” Chambers Asia Pacific 2022 Investment Funds, Greater China (International Firms)
Wendy is a Partner, Managing Director and Global Head of AlpInvest Partners’ Primary Fund Investments team. She is also responsible for the Secondary and Portfolio Finance team in the Asia Pacific region and a member of the Operating Committee. She joined AlpInvest Partners in 2007 from Macquarie Funds Management, where she was Senior Vice President of Asia-Pacific regional private equity fund investments and co-investments. Previously, Wendy was a Director with Deutsche Bank Asset Management and an Associate Director at MetLife. Wendy received a BS in Business Administration and an MS in Accounting from the University of Southern California. She represents AlpInvest Partners on various Advisory Boards.
Ms. Lui is Head of Investor Relations of Ascendent Capital Partners. Ms. Lui is responsible for IR and fundraising.
Prior to Ascendent, Ms. Lui spent over 10 years at HarbourVest Partners, focused on private equity fund investments across Asia. During that time, she served on the limited partner advisory committees of a number of pan-regional and China-focused private equity partnerships. Before that, Ms. Lui was with Morgan Stanley in the Global Capital Markets group in Hong Kong, focused on the origination and execution of equity financings, advising Asian and Chinese companies.
Jianing Zhang is a Senior Counsel of Asia Alternatives. Jianing is primarily responsible for addressing legal issues relating to private fund investment and management and supporting Asia Alternatives’ compliance with US and international regulatory regimes. Prior to joining Asia Alternatives, Jianing was a senior associate at the international law firm of Ropes & Gray LLP, where she specialized in asset management, private fund investments and secondary transactions. Jianing holds a JD degree from The George Washington University, an LLM degree from University of Pennsylvania and a Bachelor of Laws degree from the Peking University. Jianing is fluent in Mandarin.
Pete has worked with Private Equity firms for the past 15+ years. He started his career in PwC in the UK, advising PE firms on their M&A transactions, new fund formations, management entity structures and carried interest. He moved from London to Hong Kong 7 years ago and has spent the last 4 years as in-house tax counsel at Blackstone responsible for Asia Private Equity transactions and the Asia Blackstone House entities tax matters.
Wayne Bannon is General Counsel for The Carlyle Group in Asia. The Carlyle Group opened its first office in Asia in 1998 and has nine offices across seven countries with dedicated investment teams operating across buyout, growth capital, leveraged loans, and energy sectors. Carlyle has invested over US$18bn across Asia since 1998. Wayne joined Carlyle in 2007 having previously worked for a number of years in Tokyo as regional counsel for the Securitized Products Group and the Leveraged Finance Group of a US Investment Bank and prior to that position Mr. Bannon worked in the London, Tokyo and Hong Kong offices of the international law firm Allen & Overy LLP.
Grace Yuen is a Managing Director and member of the Global Leadership Team at CPP Investments. Grace leads the Legal team in Asia Pacific and is responsible for legal advice and support across investment strategies and enterprise affairs in the region. Prior to joining CPP Investments in 2018, Grace was a senior corporate M&A lawyer at Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton, and has worked in London, Brussels and Hong Kong. Grace holds a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Yale University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Law from BPP Law School.
- Karina Wong is a Partner in EY Hong Kong Business Tax Services
- Karina has been providing tax advisory and compliance services to multinational corporations and local companies.
- Karina joined EY in 2007 bringing considerable experience and expertise as a tax advisor to mid-market clients in Australia.
- Karina is dedicated to helping clients achieve business success by providing business advisory and corporate taxation services that meet each client’s unique objectives.
- Whilst serving a diverse range of clients ranging from listed groups to private owned businesses in various industries, Karina also has many years of experience in serving clients in aviation, automotive, healthcare and technology industries both locally and internationally.
- Karina has expertise in tax compliance, business restructuring, cross border transactions and implementation of tax effective strategies.
- Karina is also a Transaction Tax Partner with experience in tax due diligence and advising on the taxation aspects of mergers and acquisitions, inbound and outbound investments, corporate restructuring as well as corporate, commercial and financing transactions.
- Paul is the financial services tax leader for Hong Kong and Asia-Pacific Financial Services Business Tax Services Leader at EY
- Paul advises on all aspects of corporate tax issues relating to financial services clients
- Paul has over 24 years of practical taxation experience and knowledge
- Paul holds a Master of Taxation Degree from the University of Sydney
- Paul is a Honorary Adviser of CPA Australia – Greater China, member of the Taxation Committee of CPA Australia - Greater China and a Fellow member of CPA Australia; Co-chairperson of the Tax Committee of the Alternative Investment Management Association Hong Kong and the Mainland Opportunities Committee of the Financial Services Development Council
- Paul is currently a member of the EY GBA Center of Excellence (CoE) leadership team, and the leader of the Financial and Currency Connect – HK, which is one of the “Six Connects” under the CoE
- Paul is responsible for providing business tax advisory and compliance services to both local and multinational financial services clients including asset management companies and banks
- Paul works with financial services tax professionals within the global and regional EY network to deliver cross border projects to multinational clients
- Paul’s portfolio of clients includes some of the major global market leaders in the asset management, banking and capital markets sector and the insurance industry
- Paul has extensive experience in assisting asset management clients to deal with the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department on tax disputes and audits
- Paul has conducted numerous tax due diligence exercises representing clients on both the buy and sell sides
- Regional tax knowledge
- Asset Management, Banking and Capital Markets sector and Insurance tax advisory experiences
- Cross border transactions and structuring exposures
Brian Lee is the general counsel of FountainVest Partners, a leading China focused private equity firm.
FountainVest’s investments are long-term oriented and target high-growth industry leaders both in China and in businesses having a strong China nexus. Its core focus is to invest in the Consumer, Media & Technology, Healthcare, Industrials and Financial Services sectors. FountainVest works closely with management teams to create value in the areas of strategy, operations, human resource management, finance, industry consolidation and governance.
Prior to joining FountainVest, Brian was working in the Hong Kong office of a well-known offshore law firm. His legal experience includes (i) corporate finance and corporate restructuring matters such as fundraising transactions for venture and private equity investments, mezzanine and pre-IPO financing, IPOs on global stock exchanges such as Hong Kong, Nasdaq, NYSE, China A-share, Singapore and London, note and bond issuances of listed and unlisted entities, mergers and acquisitions, takeovers and privatisations, backdoor listings and company reorganisations; and (ii) fund-related matters such as the structuring and establishment of offshore private equity and venture investment funds. He had also previously worked in the investment banking and legal fields in Singapore and as a venture capitalist in Shanghai focused on China-related investments. He received a bachelor of laws (honours) degree from the University of Bristol.
Lydia Hao joined HarbourVest’s primary partnership team in Hong Kong in 2021 and focuses on Asia-Pacific investments.
She was previously a Principal in Neuberger Berman’s private equity team, where she led the firm’s primary funds, co-investments, and secondary investments in the Greater China region. Prior to joining Neuberger Berman in 2017, Lydia spent seven years at CPP Investment Board in Hong Kong as one of the founding members of the Private Equity Asia team, building its direct investment portfolio across the Asia-Pacific region. Previously, she was based in New York where she worked at Apax Partners focused on US private equity buyouts in the consumer and TMT sectors, and worked at UBS Investment Bank in the Mergers and Acquisitions group advising clients across various industries.
Lydia received a Bachelor of Science (summa cum laude) in Hotel Administration, from Cornell University. She speaks fluent Mandarin.
Currently Managing Director at PAG. Over 20 years’ experience in the alternative asset management industry. Extensive experience in PE, credit, hedge and real estate M&A transactions in Pan-Asia, Europe and the US. Europe. Oversee tax compliance, ruling request, litigation and dispute resolution in various jurisdictions globally. Strong expertise in US Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) and real estate investment funds in multiple European and Asian jurisdictions. Highly experienced in managing investor tax reporting and investor relations. Certified Public Account (US) and member of AICPA.
Gordon is the Founding Managing Partner and licensed Responsible Officer (CE No. ABF837) of Radiant under the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Ordinance (SFO) for Type 9 (asset management) regulated activity with over 25 years of operational and board level experience in private and listed companies involving cross-border investments, global supply chain, offshore manufacturing and infrastructure businesses. He has been involved in innovation and technology venture investments since the late 1990s through managing corporate and venture capital fund investments as well as investments as angel investor in transactions involving startups from Israel, Greater China and North America. He is currently the Nonexecutive Vice Chairman and Non-executive Director of Fountain Set (Holdings) Limited (SEHK: 0420), an Independent Non-executive Director and Chairman of Sustainability Committee of Impro Precision Industries Limited (HKEX:1286), an Independent Non-executive Director of Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings Limited (HKEX:711), the Chairman of the Hong Kong Business Angel Network and has previously served as Independent Non- Executive Director of Hopewell Holdings Limited and Hopewell Highway Infrastructure Limited as well as Director of GS1 Kong Kong. Gordon graduated magna cum laude from Boston University with a BSc degree in Manufacturing Engineering and obtained an MBA from McGill University and a DBA from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
Bonnie is a founding partner and COO of TPG NewQuest. Bonnie oversees the finance, investor relations, operations and administrative functions of TPG NewQuest.
Bonnie has over 20 years’ experience in finance and investing. Prior to taking on the COO role, Bonnie was co-head of China business for TPG NewQuest. Prior to founding TPG NewQuest, Bonnie was a Director in Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s (BAML) Asia Private Equity group focusing on investments in Greater China. Bonnie has also held other positions within BAML including in the Corporate Principal Investments and Investment Banking groups. She also previously worked at 3i Group plc focusing on growth capital investments in Greater China.
Bonnie has an Executive MBA from EMBA-Global Asia, a joint program between Columbia Business School, University of Hong Kong Business School and London Business School. She received her undergraduate degree in Economics and East Asian Studies, magna cum laude, from Brown University in Providence, RI.
Bonnie is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Registration must be followed by payment to secure your place. Registration will be confirmed upon receipt of payment. Should you require an invoice, please contact us.
- Cancellation must be made in writing at least 7 working days prior to the event. No refund will be made thereafter.
- Information is subject to change. The HKVCA retains the right to make changes as it deems necessary.
- Priority will be given to HKVCA Members.
- Seats are limited at first-come-first-served basis.
- No shows will be charged.
- Please inform us of any dietary requirements in advance. We cannot guarantee we can accommodate requirements requested on the day of the event. An additional charge may apply to accommodate special dietary requests.
- Participants have to follow the start and finish times as stated, otherwise CPT points may be deducted.